The Podcast for the MTB Strength Training System, the world's only strength and conditioning system designed exclusively for mountain bikers.
The Biggest Gimmick in Cycling? Clipless Pedals.
In this podcast I break down the claims used to sell clipless pedals and expose why they are nothing but a gimmick.
- The definition of the word Gimmick: A trick or device used to attract business or attention.
- This includes things that are untrue and have no basis in science or facts.
- Clipless pedals are sold based on two things that based on this definition are, in fact, gimmicks.
- The first is the Round Pedal Stroke and the Need to Pull Up on the Backstroke.
- There are countless graphics illust [...]
The BPTM System - 4 Steps to Improving Your Performance
In this podcast I look at the 4 steps I’m now using to help riders improve their movement and performance, the BPTM System, which includes…
1 - Breathing.
- Crocodile Breathing
2 - Position
3 - Tension
- Isometrics (Ramping Isometrics)
4 - Movement
Isometric Training: How Not Moving Can Help You Ride Faster
Every once in a while I have a lightbulb moment that makes me realize that I have been missing something really important in my training.
Like the first time I was introduced to using mobility exercises to compliment my usual focus on “get stronger”, these moments open up a whole new way of seeing the bigger picture that leads to being a better rider.
One of these moments happened to me recently at a Steve Maxwell seminar when he was explaining how he uses Isometric Exercises in combination with sport training.
While Isometric Exercises are something I have studied and used, I never really understood the best way to use them until I heard him explain it and now I realize that they are a must have component of a training program.
In this episode of the Bike James Podcast I explain what Isometrics Exercises are, how to use them and how you can use incorporate them into your program to help you ride faster on the trail.